By Dyer Family Dentistry
November 12, 2013
Category: Dental Procedures
Tooth loss can occur for various reasons including neglecting your teeth and gums with a poor diet and improper oral hygiene. Athletes are more prone to lose teeth, as well, because they experience increased trauma and contact the mouth. When tooth loss occurs, it can also have a substantial impact on a person’s self-esteem due to the aesthetic implications.
A shift in your teeth can cause your teeth to become crooked, and gapped, creating an older appearance. The consequences of poor dental health can make it difficult to eat our favorite foods and even speak, causing embarrassment and frustration. Dental implants are natural in appearance, allowing others to only notice your beautiful, natural smile. With help from Dr. Marc Dyer in Elizabethtown, dental implants can restore your smile.
Understanding the Advantages of Dental Implants from Elizabethtown Dentist, Dr. Dyer
If you, like millions of adults, have lost one or more teeth, then you understand the unpleasant consequences that accompany tooth loss. Missing teeth result in an older appearance, discomfort, inconvenience and an overall less productive lifestyle.
Since dental implants are securely attached, you gain confidence to eat what you like, speak clearly and freedom from embarrassment. Other benefits of implants include:
- Improved Appearance: Dental implants look and feel just like your own teeth.
- Improved Comfort: Dental Implants are securely anchored, so there is no slipping as there is with dentures. This eliminates some of the key inconveniences of dentures, including poor fit, gum irritation, and pain.
- Improved Health: Dental implants can help prevent deterioration of the jawbone caused by loss of teeth, so your face retains its natural shape.
- Durability: Dental Implants are strong and can last a lifetime with proper care.
- Convenience: Unlike dentures, dental implants are permanent, eliminating the inconvenience of removing your dentures. With dental implants, you can brush and care for your teeth just as you would your natural teeth.
Dr. Dyer Shares: Proper Nutrition and Diet Help Save Your Teeth
It is extremely important to watch what you eat, as it helps in the maintenance of your teeth and in disease prevention. Ongoing research indicates that antioxidants and other nutrients found in fruits, vegetables and nuts may strengthen immunity and improve your body’s ability to fight bacteria and inflammation, which can help protect the teeth and gums. Follow these tips on maintaining proper nutrition and keeping your smile:
- Calcium and vitamin D supplements decrease the risk for tooth loss in the elderly.
- Antioxidant vitamins such as vitamin C, and other nutrients from fruits and vegetables help protect gums and other tissues from cell damage and bacterial infection.
- Folic acid promotes healthy mouths and supports cell growth.
- Eating sugary carbohydrate-rich foods as part of a balanced meal is better than eating them alone.
- Foods that take a long time to chew can damage teeth.
- Cheese unleashes a burst of calcium that mixes with plaque and sticks to the teeth, which protects your teeth from acids that cause decay.
If you’ve lost one or more of your natural teeth, it’s possible to continue to live confidently with dental implants from your dentist in Elizabethtown, Dr. Marc Dyer. Dental implants look and feel exactly like your natural teeth, and unlike conventional restoration solutions, implants can last a lifetime.
If you are missing teeth, how did you lose your tooth? Share your story below!